Sunday, February 21, 2010

Find Your Passion, Make it Happen

Sunday afternoon in sleepy Allentown, normally dominated by homework, large iced coffees and re-runs of Law and Order. I always liked Sundays---I know people dread them because they lead to Monday, but they always give me a chance to catch up on old assignments, newspapers and sleep.

I have decided that Sunday will be Corner Office day. Each Sunday I will post a quote from the New York Times Corner Office section. Some weeks it will be about career advice. Other weeks it will be about how to handle failure, adapting to success or other verbal gems from our country's greatest business leaders.

Today's quote comes from Mindy Grossman of HSN, Inc.

"Take the time to absolutely find what makes you excited to wake up in the morning. Take the time. You don’t have to decide in five minutes."

The beauty of a job or internship is that it can be a stepping stone to a greater career path. It took me interning on Capitol Hill to realize that politics just wasn't my cup of tea. But each morning when I woke up to go to intern for Clinton Global Initiative, I became excited about what the day would hold and what projects would be passed my way. Something as small as researching kiosks was rewarding. Because for me, researching kiosks meant registering credentials. Registering credentials meant people could attend President Clinton's Annual Meeting. Members and Heads of State attending the Meeting meant collaborating for change, and working for a greater good is my passion.

The perfect job or career doesn't need to necessarily be one that is popular. The perfect job or career is one that brings about reward and satisfaction. It may take a few tries, but I have faith that people generally fall into a job or career that is best suited for them.

Take a good look within. Find what makes you happy. Then go for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment