Monday, March 1, 2010

Corner Office Time!

Ironically, the reason that this post is a day behind is because I was getting job advice. The girl who normally critiques resumes was having her resume critiqued, and let me tell you, it was an odd experience.

The quote that I have chosen to highlight today is from Jana Eggers, CEO of Spreadshirt, a custom T-Shirt design company. She was asked "What career advice do you give young people?". Her answer is below:

"Don't be too set on what you want to do. Be flexible. I jumped all over the place... Be confident that you can figure it out."

As a political science major, I was convinced that I either had to work in politics or go straight to law school. A lot of soul searching and a few internships led me to believe that neither of these courses was right for me. Don't get me wrong---I have loved being a political science major. The classes I have taken have made me a strong writer and analytic thinker, forced me to stay up to date on current events and allowed me to hold my own in any conversation. But I just felt that I didn't want to continue it (immediately) after I graduated.

After having a mini life-crisis about not knowing what I wanted to do post-graduation, my friend Jos told me to look at what I liked and was good at and go from there. So I sat down, realized I loved event logistics (I mean, it was my internship that summer) and became comfortable with pursuing that career path.

But, as Ms. Eggers writes, you can't become too set on one path. I began looking up jobs in event planning and realized that often times, it will fall under Development. Working in Development meant looking for jobs in institutions of higher education, not just non-profit organizations. Having taken Marketing in Not for Profits, I began searching for marketing associateships. And last but not least, enrolling in Public Relations and Communications has opened yet another door. So I now find myself applying for jobs in four major (and might I say very different) areas.

I realized that I may not graduate with my dream job, but as long as I like what the job description says, I am sure that I will make it work. Having a lot of interests is not a detriment, rather it allows you to take on the job search with an open mind. Some days I envy those who are Accounting majors, who know what they will be doing come May 23rd. But at the same time, I also love that I have the option of exploring what is right for me.

I finally became comfortable with the fact that at the ripe age of 21, I wasn't expected to have all the answers or know how to do it all. My age is a beautiful gift--it allows me to take chances and risks, and if they don't turn out the way I thought, I still am able to start over again.

So remember--keep an open mind and be willing to consider a job that was not in your immediate plans or your first choice. If anything, it will make you a wiser, stronger and more well-rounded applicant for that perfect job you have been dreaming about.

No comments:

Post a Comment