Thursday, March 18, 2010

If at first your don't suceed...

Getting ready to graduate in less than two months scares me, but not for the reasons you would think. I am not afraid to move on and experience something besides the 84 acres of Muhlenberg's campus. I am not afraid to try something different and deviate from my 'political science academia' path. I am not afraid to move to a new city, make new friends and at 21 years old, essentially start from scratch.

But what I am afraid of is failing. I am terrified of graduating and feeling lost, feeling unprepared and (a distinct reality) jobless.

Will Wright of the Stupid Fun Club was asked what would be in his "two minutes commencement speech". He wanted to focus on the value of failure. Wright believes that graduating with a specific mindset about what you want to do and how you need to do it isn't for everyone. Graduating with rigid plans can lead to failure and then deflate a person's drive. For Wright, it is about accepting your failure, celebrating that you gave something a try and to embrace the new outlook that it has given you. For him, failure isn't really failure--it is more of a large scale trial and error. Wright believes that failure will occur when a person tries to fit a square peg into a round hole, or mold themselves to a work environment that isn't conducive to their strengths or talents. Rather, he encourages students to find a place where they can grow and adapt with.

I am graduating with a political science major and Jewish studies minor. My last four years studying have given me invaluable tools, like strong analytic skills, the ability to become a concise writer and the opportunity to be well-versed on American and International events. But when I got home for winter break this year, I realized that I wanted nothing to do with political science come May. I didn't want to work in politics, was unsure of law school, had zero interest in lobbying and felt completely lost. In my head, I had failed. But I realized that I had done more than most people---I had tried out a few kinds of environments through internships, took classes I thought would interest me and began picking people's brains about their jobs and careers.

Taking time to figure out what is right for you doesn't mean you have failed as a student or person. Rather, it means that you have made the brave step of being introspective. People change careers all the time and at all ages. At 21 and 22, we aren't expected and shouldn't have all the answers. So apply for that job or internship that may be out of your comfort zone. Enroll in the class that sounds really interesting. Take a leap, try something new and if you don't like the outcome, then you take the lessons it has taught you and the experience gained and confidently go forward to the next adventure.

For the full interview, click here: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/14/business/14corner.html?_r=1&pagewanted=1

No comments:

Post a Comment